WNIT Game Day Central -- FIU vs. Florida
Photo Credit: Sam Lewis
FLORIDA (18-14, 6-10 SEC) at FIU (19-12, 12-8 SBC)
2013 POSTSEASON WNIT -- FIRST ROUND
MARCH 21, 2013 -- 7:00 P.M. -- U.S. CENTURY BANK ARENA -- MIAMI, FLA.
LIVE STATS --
FREE LIVE STREAM (PantherVision)
FIU GAME NOTES (PDF) -- FIU MEDIA INFORMATION GUIDE --
SBC POSTSEASON NOTES (PDF)
FLORIDA GAME NOTES (PDF) --
FLORIDA MEDIA INFORMATION GUIDE --
SEC POSTSEASON NOTES (PDF)
POSTSEASON WNIT NOTES/RECORDS (PDF)
2013 POSTSEASON WNIT BRACKET (PDF)
Twitter (@FIUWBasketball) -- Facebook (Facebook.com/FIUWBasketball)
HOLYCOLEY.COM #HolyColey #FIU
PANTHER QUICK HITS
• FIU is making its second-consecutive and seventh overall Postseason WNIT appearance, as the Panthers host Florida on Thursday in Miami. FIU is 5-7 all-time in Postseason WNIT action.
• On March 6, junior Jerica Coley became FIU women’s basketball’s first two-time Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year. Junior
Marita Davydova earned All-SBC Third-Team honors.
• Junior Jerica Coley has scored 2,098 career points and is just one point shy of moving into a tie for second all-time at FIU. The 2013 SBC Championship All-Tournament pick has reached double-figures in scoring in 29-straight games and
leads the nation in scoring (25.9 ppg).
• FIU registered 12 SBC wins during the regular season, the second-most in program history. The Panthers reached their third-consecutive Sun Belt Conference Championship semifinal, falling to eventual tournament champion Middle Tennessee.
• Junior Jerica Coley is just the second player in FIU women’s basketball history to achieve 2,000 points, 600 rebounds and 300 assists in a career. Through 94 career contests, Coley has registered 2,098 points, 649 rebounds and 312 assists.
• FIU leads the SBC and ranks 16th in the country in free throw percentage (.762). The Panthers also lead the league in rebounding margin (+7.2) and rank 22nd in the country in the category.
• Junior Marita Davydova has recorded 10 or more rebounds in 14 contests this season and has led the Panthers in rebounding on 22 occasions.
• For her career, junior Jerica Coley has averaged 21.6 points per game, a mark which ranks second in program history. This season, Coley has scored 42.4 percent of FIU’s points.
• For the second-straight year, junior Jerica Coley as been selected as an all-region nominee for the 2013 WBCA Division I Coaches’ All-America Team.
SCOUTING THE GATORS
Florida (18-14, 6-10 SEC) is coming off an 82-73 loss to Tennessee in the SEC Tournament quarterfinals. Jaterra Bonds (12.7 ppg), Jennifer George (11.5 ppg) and Sydney Miss (10.6 ppg) are all averaging double-figures in scoring, while George also leads the
Gators in rebounding (8.0 rpg), blocks (46) and steals (58). Moss has dished out a team-leading 123 assists on the season.
SERIES HISTORY VS. UF
Florida leads the all-time series with FIU by a 4-2 margin. The last time the two squads met on the hardwood was on Nov. 29, 2009, with the Gators coming away with a 71-60 victory in the FIU Thanksgiving Classic in Miami.
LAST TIME OUT
Senior Finda Mansare and junior Jerica Coley combined for 44 points, but FIU came up short in the Sun Belt Conference Championship semifinals, falling to top-seeded Middle Tennessee, 68-59, at Summit Arena in Hot Springs, Ark.,
on March 10. Mansare and Coley netted 22 points apiece to lead the Panther offense, while junior
Marita Davydova secured a team-leading seven rebounds. Coley dished out a team-leading four assists, and senior Carmen Miloglav registered a squad-best four steals on the day.
RUSSO IN THE RANKINGS
Head Coach Cindy Russo has led her squads to 689 victories over 36 years, making her the ninth-winningest active coach in Division I. For her career, Russo has amassed an overall record of 689-363, and owns a record of 649-341 in 34 seasons
at FIU. Her 33 full seasons at FIU are the fifth-most across all NCAA institutions, regardless of division, for number of seasons spent with one program.
#HOLYCOLEY FOR ALL-AMERICAN
All-America candidate Jerica Coley leads FIU in nearly every statistical category this season -- field goals made (290); three-point field goals made (33); free throws made (190); assists (106, 3.4 apg); blocks (52, 1.7 bpg); steals (65, 2.1
spg); and points (803, 25.9 ppg). Coley has scored in double-figures in 30 of 31 contests, including 29-straight, and has notched 22, 20-plus point games, including 11, 30-plus point outings. The junior, who scored a career-high 39 points versus Dartmouth
(12/15/12) and again against ULM (2/2/13), leads the nation in scoring. Coley ranks first in the Sun Belt Conference in minutes played (39.5 mpg), and third in blocked shots (51, 1.7 bpg), and fourth in free throw percentage (.837).
KEEPING UP WITH THE PANTHERS
Fans can visit www.FIUSports.com, follow @FIUWBasketball on Twitter, and “Like” FIU women’s basketball on Facebook (Facebook.com/FIUWBasketball for the latest Panther hoops news. Follow all of FIU’s 18 athletic teams on Google+ (FIU Athletics), Twitter (@FIUAthletics),
Facebook (Facebook.com/FIUSports), YouTube (FIUPanthers), and Instagram (FIUathletics).
Full game notes (PDF) available above.
#HolyColey in the FIU Record Books (PDF)
Jerica Coley for All-American (Promo Flyer PDF)
About FIU Athletics: FIU Athletics is home to more than 400 student-athletes in 18 different sports, and is a proud member of the Sun Belt Conference and an affiliate member of Conference USA (men's soccer). Athletic events
are played in seven different venues on FIU's campuses (Modesto A. Maidique and Biscayne Bay), including U.S. Century Bank Arena and Alfonso Field at FIU Stadium.
About FIU: Florida International University is recognized as a Carnegie engaged university. Its colleges and schools offer more than 180 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, international
relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU is worlds ahead in its local and global engagement, finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of
its mission and enrolls nearly 48,000 students in two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. More than 140,000 alumni live and work in South Florida. FIU is a member of the Sun Belt Conference and has
400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
--- www.FIUSports.com ---