#5 Rakeem Buckles
Monsignor Pace HS
Senior Year (2012-13):
- Forced to sit out for the season due to NCAA Transfer rules.
Junior Year (at Louisville) (2011-12):
- Appeared in 11 games, starting one of the Cardinals before suffering a season-ending injury at Marquette (1/16).
- Averaged 4.0 points-per-game and 3.8 rebounds-per-contest.
- Shot 43.2 percent (16-of-37) from the floor.
- Had nine boards and produced seven points versus Notre Dame (1/7).
- In just his second game of the season and first start, he produced 12 points and six rebounds in 13 minutes against Memphis (12/17).
- Saw his first game action in 283 days when he played 11 minutes against IUPUI (12/7), tallying three points, four rebounds and a steal.
Sophomore Year (at Louisville) (2010-11):
- Appeared in 16 games, starting in 10, before season was cut short due to injury.
- Tough sophomore season with three separate injuries keeping him off the court (concussion, broken finger, torn ACL).
- Suffered a torn ACL in his right knee in the first half against Pitt on Feb. 27 which ended his season. He had surgery March 16 to repair the knee. It was the third injury this season that has forced him to the sidelines, also having a concussion and broken finger earlier this season that have kept him out of action.
- Broke his left index finger during practice on Dec. 30 and returned to practice six weeks after the injury on Feb. 10. He had surgery to repair the injury on Dec. 30, which included the insertion of five pins at the renowned Hand Care Center at Jewish Hospital. He missed the Cardinals' games against Kentucky and their first 11 BIG EAST games, then returned for five games before the knee injury.
- Cards' top rebounder (6.1) who ranked ninth in the BIG EAST before his injury (7.5 at the time). He had seven or more rebounds in seven games this season.
- Averaged 6.8 points-per-game, shooting 48.1 percent (39-of-81) from the floor.
- Had 15 points, six rebounds and a career-high four assists at Western Kentucky when he connected on all three of his three-point attempts.
- Suffered a concussion against Drexel and missed UofL's game vs. Gardner-Webb.
- Scored in double figures in five games as a sophomore and had three double-digit rebounding efforts.
- Totaled 12 points, a career-high 14 rebounds, two assists and two steals against South Alabama, his second double-double of the season and third of his career.
- Opened the season with 17 points, 11 rebounds and three steals against Butler.
Freshman Year (at Louisville) (2009-10):
- Played in 32 games, starting two.
- Averaged 3.2 points-per-game and 3.4 rebounds-per-contest.
- Shot 52.3 percent (45-of-86) from the floor, while converting 73.2 percent (30-of-41) from the free-throw line.
- Finished his freshman year scoring a career-high 20 points against California in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. He added nine rebounds while hitting 10-of-11 field goals.
- Contributed eight points -- the second most of his career and his most in 20 games -- and added four rebounds and a key block late in the game as the Cardinals won at Syracuse.
- Made 13 of his last 16 free throws (.812), spanning his last 13 games.
- Had seven points and four rebounds at Marquette.
- Starter at Seton Hall, contributing seven points and six rebounds in 17 minutes.
- Had five points and two rebounds against Rutgers.
- Totaled five points, five rebounds and two steals against Villanova in 15 minutes of action.
- Had six points and six rebounds against USF in the Cardinals' BIG EAST Conference opener… Produced his first career double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds at UNLV, his second straight double-digit rebounding effort.
- Strong effort off the bench against Appalachian State with six points and 10 rebounds.
- Scored eight points in 12 minutes against East Tennessee State.
Prep and Personal Data:
- Named the Class 4A Player of the Year in Florida when he averaged 22.8 points, 13.1 rebounds and 3.5 blocked shots as a senior, helping Monsignor Pace post a 24-8 record and the Class 4A regional finals.
- Rated No. 36 in the class of 2009 by Rivals (No. 11 power forward), No. 47 by USA Today analyst Rob Harrington, No. 67 by Scout.com and No. 78 among the ESPN 100.
- Averaged 12.6 points and 9.7 rebounds as Monsignor Pace finished with year with a 23-9 record and won its second-straight state championship during his junior year.
- That season, he garnered third-team, all-state honors from the Florida Sports Writers Association and was named First-Team All-Dade County by the Miami Herald.
- Recruited by Miami, Florida, Florida State, Cincinnati and Louisville.
- Born Nov. 15, 1990...Son of Ronald and Sabrina Buckles.
- Has one younger sister (Precyous Reese) and four older siblings (Marquetta Wright, Roderick Mitchell, Treco Conley, Ronald Buckles).
- Major is undecided.